Protocol for requesting civic entertainment
Decisions on which areas the Council’s civic entertainment budget is spent on is entirely at the discretion of the Council’s Convener. However, with a significantly reducing budget, it is very important that any spend in this area is targeted as effectively as possible.
The short protocol outlined below, is designed to allow the Convener to ensure all requests for civic entertainment are dealt with in a consistent and efficient way.
Any individual or group who are seeking support for a civic event, must make a request to the Convener. In order for the Convener to be able to make an effective decision on whether to provide support, the following areas must be included in any request:
- Details of the proposed event, with date and expected number of attendees
- Details of the support being sought from the Council e.g. dinner, venue etc
- Benefit for Shetland to be gained from the event
- Indicative costs
- Any other relevant information – e.g. whether the event has been supported in the past.
- Request for Civic Support (Word)
- Request for Civic Support (PDF)
Requests must be sent to the Members’ Support staff at the Town Hall, Lerwick either by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by post: Town Hall, Lerwick Shetland, ZE10HB. In order to allow time for arrangements to be made, requesters are asked to give as much advance notice as possible.
The Convener will consider each request, and will provide a response as soon as practicably possible. Members’ Support staff, based at the Town Hall, Lerwick, will make contact with the requester, to confirm the decision and act as liaison point on any arrangements thereafter if civic support is being provided.