The release of jetty 4 from Brent blend service in 2003 created the spare capacity to develop new services. This jetty flexibility, together with the existing Sullom Voe advantages of a deep draught harbour (20m), a 25-year track record of safe, reliable port operations and the convenience of having all service providers within easy reach of the jetties, provided the final ingredient to establish StS services.
Developed by SVT and SIC, together with the other service providers involved, StS services can be provided on an ad hoc or more regular basis and offer:
- the ability to conduct StS transfer operations from a delivering vessel/vessels to a receiving vessel berthed alongside jetty 4, managed by experienced service providers.
- pilotage, towage, berthing, terminal support and StS transfer operations.
- a local agent to manage the contractual arrangements with the party responsible for supply of transfer hoses/fenders and supervision of the transfer operations.
- a competitively priced service.
The parties involved in providing the service and their roles are:
- Local agents, as first point of contact, for all customer enquiries for STS transfer operators & supplier of fenders and transfer hoses.
- Sullom Voe Harbour Authority (SIC); Port control, including pilotage, berthing/unberthing. Towage services, including vessel escort, vessel push-up, pollution response support. Overall responsibility for ensuring safe performance of the service with no adverse environmental impacts while vessels are within the Sullom Voe Harbour area.
- SVT Operator (BP); tying up inboard vessel to jetty 4, pollution response, emergency response assistance, ship vetting.