Covid-19 Service Updates

Service updates - Covid-19


The office at 6 North Ness is closed to the public

If you need to contact us, please call us on 01595 744360. We ask our customers to be patient and understand that due to a reduced level of service being available, our normal timescales will not be met.


People should only visit the office in person if they need to make an emergency homeless presentation, and only after a discussion with a housing officer who will ask the appropriate screening questions. If you need to contact us, please call 01595 744360.

Housing Repairs 

We are back to a full repairs service and are dealing with the backlog but will be prioritising the most pressing repairs.

The safety of our tenants and employees remains our priority. We have developed Health and Safety risk assessments for any work to be carried out in tenants’ homes. As always, we would ask for co-operation to allow us to work safely. We would also thank tenants for their patience and understanding at this very difficult and challenging time. 

Change to the Capital Works programme will be inevitable as contractors gradually return to work.

The Repairs Helpdesk number is 01595 744399.

Housing Applications

Housing Applications are being processed.

Housing Allocations

Allocations are being made at the moment, in line with Scottish Government guidance.

Housing Transfers and Mutual Exchanges

Housing Transfers and Mutual Exchanges

Due to Covid-19 the above are currently suspended.



Community Housing Support

Staff are carrying out regular contact with community housing support customers by telephone.


Financial Support and Advice due to the Coronavirus

If you are facing financial hardship due to the Coronavirus outbreak and need help,

  • You can claim Universal Credit from the Department for Work and Pensions for your rent which includes support for housing costs, an income replacement element and child tax credits, where eligible. There are some temporary changes that have been put into effect which makes this easier at this time.
  • You should apply for Statutory Sick Pay and Universal Credit, where eligible.

The most up to date Government information is available at:

Housing and Finance staff are working closely together to support our tenants at this time and ask that if you are having financial difficulties and/or unable to pay your rent on time, please get in touch with us.

Contact Details -

  • Housing Service - 01595 74 4360
  • Finance (Rents) – 01595 74 4648
  • Finance (Benefits) - 01595 744682
  • Finance (Arrears) - 01595 744623
  • Finance (Crisis / Community Care Grants) - 01595 744629

The Scottish Government has made an announcement about financial support for communities during the Coronavirus outbreak. This includes:

  • Additional funds for the Council Tax Reduction scheme if necessary
  • Additional money for Community Care and Crisis Grants
  • More money for Social security benefits
  • A Food fund for those experiencing an income drop or self-isolation, including elderly people and those receiving free school meals
  • Help for those experiencing fuel poverty

Help for Community groups for example to enable free food and essential supplies

Notice for all Tenants and Customers

The risk to vulnerable people, including victims of domestic abuse, will unfortunately continue during the Coronavirus pandemic. Indeed, with restrictions on movement, there may be an increased risk with more time spent in the home.

However, support is still available and we would like to sign-post you to some specialist agencies who can help:

Shetland Womens' Aid

Telephone: 01595 692070
Mobiles: 07867 300565 and 07810 796556

Phone calls/texts will be answered as soon as possible – generally staff will be available 9-12 every weekday.

Shetland Rape Crisis

Centre Hours: Mon-Thurs 9am-1.30pm
Centre Number: 01595 747174
RCS Helpline: 08088 010302 (6pm-midnight)

Scottish Domestic Abuse and Forced Marriage

Helpline 24 hour: 0800 027 1234
Freephone – 0808 801 0327
01744 743 200 offers an excellent resource of local numbers and information relating to adult protection, child protection and Domestic Abuse and gender-based violence.

Police Scotland continue to deal with Domestic Abuse incidents, which is a criminal offence. In an emergency please call 999 and in a non-emergency please call 101.