Services for adults with sight loss

What services are available?

If you have sight loss, we can arrange for you to have an assessment with one of our staff. The assessment will focus on your needs and finding ways to help you manage everyday tasks more easily and safely, at home and outdoors.

We may be able to help you with difficulties such as:

  • Getting around safely outdoors
  • Preparing hot meals and drinks safely
  • Using computers and other assistive technology

We can also provide information about other local and national services which might help you.

Who can ask for an assessment?

Anyone can. You can refer yourself or a friend or relative can also make a referral on your behalf.

Do I need to be registered as blind or partially sighted before I can have an assessment?

No, anybody with sight loss can request an assessment. You do not have to be registered as blind or partially sighted to access support from the OT Service.

How do I make a referral?

You can contact us by phone, letter or email. When you get in touch, you will be asked for general information about yourself and any difficulties you are having.

What happens next?

Using the information you give us about your needs, we will prioritise your case and place it on the waiting list for assessment. A member of staff will contact you to arrange an appointment that is suitable for you.

Where will I be seen?

We try to meet with people in their own homes. You can also be seen at the Independent Living Centre (ILC) or an alternative place if this is not suitable.