Home Advice and Energy Efficiency

Home Insurance

The Council is responsible for insuring the property structure including any fixtures and fittings provided as standard by the Council.  As a tenant you are solely responsible to insure your personal possessions, house contents and internal decoration.  Any insurance company can offer you advice on the best policy for your needs.  We advise you to ensure your policy covers replacing any additional internal glass and bathroom and kitchen fittings installed by you.

If damage occurs to your house you should contact the Housing Service to report the damage.  Such damage could include roof tiles blown off, water leaks from frozen pipes, a fire in your house etc.  The Council will normally carry out the repairs to your house under its insurance policy.  Any damage to your possessions should be dealt with through your own insurance policy.