Discounts and Exemptions

Single persons's discount

You can claim single person discount if:

  • you are the only adult aged 18 years or over living in the property, or
  • the other adults living in the property are not counted for Council tax purposes. See The single person discount is 25% off your total Council tax, water and sewerage bill

For discount purposes, there are certain categories we do not count when considering the number of adults living in a property:

  • full time students
  • long-term patients in a hospital or care home
  • severely mentally impaired persons
  • a person providing care for a resident
  • persons in detention
  • apprentices
  • Youth Training trainees
  • student nurses
  • members of certain religious communities
  • partners of non-British students who have no entitlement to public funds
  • people in respect of whom child benefit is payable
  • People under 26 who have previously been in local authority care