Private Rented Housing
The size and nature of Shetland’s private rented housing market
Whilst the number of private rented properties in Shetland is quite small (a few hundred at most) the turnover of lettings tends to be much higher than for Council or Hjaltland Housing Association rented houses.
As Shetland is also a tourist destination, a proportion of private rented properties are used in the summer for short term holiday lets and over the winter for a longer period.
How to find out about private rented accommodation in Shetland
- Take a look at the adverts in the Additional Links in the box on the right above. You could also put an advert in yourself.
- Contact local solicitors and estate agents.
- Look out for adverts on public notice boards in Lerwick supermarkets and local shops and post offices.
- Advertise that you are looking for accommodation.
- Lerwick's Visit Scotland icentre can give you details of summer holiday lets– you could contact owners of self-catering accommodation to explore the possibility of winter or longer term lets.
- Ask around, particularly in the country areas where some private renting opportunities may be 'advertised' by word of mouth.