Registering a Birth

Who can register a birth in Scotland?

If the parents are married to each other, either the mother or the father can register the birth. Where the parents are not married to each other but both parents names are to appear on the entry, both parents should visit the registrar, together, to register the birth. If either parent is not able to attend to register the birth, the parents should contact the registrar for advice.

How and where do I register a birth?

Any birth which occurs in Scotland must be registered within twenty one days by the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages. From January 2007 the law allows a birth to be registered in any registration district in Scotland. You can obtain the address of the local registrar from this website, the hospital or the doctor.

What documents should I take to the registrar?

You should take with you:

  • The card/form issued by the hospital;
  • The marriage certificate of the child's parents.

Do not worry if any of these documents are not available as the registrar can still proceed to register the birth.

What documents will you receive?

When the registration is complete the registrar will provide you with the following documents

  • an abbreviated birth certificate (i.e. excluding parentage details) of the birth entry. This is free of charge
  • form (EC58) to register your child with the doctor. Again this is provided free of charge.
  • Full extracts of the birth for a fee (currently £10.00 per certificate) You will require a full extract to apply for a passport.
What if the birth occurs abroad?

You should register the birth according to local regulations in the country concerned and obtain a birth certificate. You may also be able to register the birth with the British Consul in that country for a fee.

However, you are under no obligation to do so. A record of the birth will be sent to Scotland and you will thereafter be able to obtain a copy from New Register House.