Houses in multiple occupation (HMO) licence

Licence Type
Houses in multiple occupation (HMO) licence
Who should apply?
Anyone who wants to rent out their property to 3 or more unrelated people.
Definitions and more
HMOs include residential accommodation (such as shared flats and houses, hostels and halls of residence) which are the main home for three or more unrelated people. Remember that even if you don't need a HMO licence you might still need to register as a landlord.

The fee is in two parts:

£300.00 for up to 6 persons and
£500.00 for over 6 persons.

This is subject to change on an annual basis.
Updated for 2024/25 financial year.

What you need to supply

A fully completed current application form
A3 size copy of the floor plans (new and any subsequent 'renewal' application)
Application fee (non-refundable)
the following certificates:

  • Annual Gas Certificate (for properties with a gas supply)
  • Current Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR)
  • Annual Emergency Lighting Certificate
  • Annual Portable Appliance Test Certificate (PAT)
  • Annual Fire Appliances Certificate or current invoice
  • Current Part 1 Fire Alarm System Certificate
  • Annual Sprinkler System Inspection Certificate in accordance with BS9251 ​
  • Current Fire Safety Risk Assessment document
Application pack
Conditions and Guidance
Further information contact