This grant has now closed to new applications
The Athlete Travel Award Scheme is designed to support performance or development athletes from Shetland with their travel and accommodation costs for an agreed training and competition schedule.
We understand that the past year has thrown a lot of confusion over the sporting calander and we expect this to continue for the remainder of 21/22. For this year only we are looking to amend the ATAS selection process in order to provide a more flexible approach.
This scheme is funded by sportscotland and Shetland Islands Council and is administered locally by Shetland Islands Council. The scheme can support individuals that are taking part in recognised sports. We hope it will make a real difference to the quality of sports performance for people living in Shetland.
The overarching aim of this scheme is to improve opportunities for Shetland athletes to participate, progress and achieve in sport by:
- Helping to prepare Scotland's best athletes from Shetland to perform on the national and international stage.
- Providing financial support for Shetland athletes to access high performance expertise in sport.
- Helping Shetland athletes to consistently achieve selection to national age grade, national GB programmes and ultimately winning on the world stage.
A successful application to the Shetland Athlete Travel Award Scheme will demonstrate that: –
- There is a need for the funding to support the athlete’s training and competition programme.
- The athlete is committed to their training and competition programme.
- The athlete’s plans are well thought out and represent value for money.
- The athlete’s expenditure can be fully accounted for.
- The athlete’s programme will meet the overarching aim and outcomes of this scheme.
- The athlete is committed to fulfil their long-term aspirations to further their sporting pathways within higher performing environments.
The outcomes that will be monitored by this scheme are:
- Athletes from Shetland gaining National representation (age group / open) in accordance with Scottish Governing Body pathways.
- Athletes from Shetland gaining representation at the Commonwealth Games.
- Athletes from Shetland gaining selection to GB World Class (Podium, Podium Potential) funded programmes in Olympic / Paralympic sports.
- Athletes from Shetland winning medals at the NatWest International Island Games.
- Athletes from Shetland who are currently on a Professional Sporting Pathway.
- Athletes from Shetland who are transitioning to Mainland Scotland to further their sporting pathways within higher performing environments.