Transfers and Mutual Exchanges

What are Transfers and Mutual Exchanges and how to Apply

You can apply to move (transfer) to another house by completing an Application form.  Transfer applications are pointed in the same way as waiting list applications.  A Mutual Exchange scheme is in place to help tenants who want to move within Shetland and who are tenants of Shetland Islands Council (SIC) or Hjaltland Housing Association  (HHA).  If two tenants agree that they would like to swap houses, each must request this is writing and not move until each landlord has given their written consent.  Any local authority or housing association tenant can apply to join a Mutual Exchange scheme.  Most Mutual Exchanges take place within Shetland although there are some opportunities for Shetland tenants to exchange to other Council or Housing Association homes across the UK.  This scheme is not open to private renting tenants.

Once you have viewed one another’s property and decided that you would each like to proceed with the exchange then you must each put your request in writing to both Landlords involved.

If you have not already done so, to apply for a transfer or a mutual exchange you need to complete an Application Form.  If you have a joint tenancy you must ensure that any request is signed by each joint tenant.  To apply for a Mutual Exchange please call the Housing Service on 01595 744360.  Other landlords may require more information to be provided.