Caring for someone

You may be a parent, a partner, a son or daughter, a sister or brother or friend to someone who needs support as a result of their illness (physical or mental illness and substance misuse), condition or disability.

If you provide them with help and support to manage their life – you are a Carer.

If you care for someone who is ill, frail or disabled and you are unpaid, then we can offer advice and information on:

  • your rights as a carer
  • carer’s assessment and support plan
  • local carer services
  • breaks from caring
  • medical conditions and medication
  • looking after yourself.

Where to get more information:

There are a number of different places you can go to get more information about being a carer:

  • For adults - your cared for person’s care-coordinator/manager – for helping you write a support plan.
  • For children and young people – your Health Visitor/School Nurse or Pupil Support Teacher.
  • Duty Social work. Call 01595 744400 – if you haven’t had any help before and would like a Support Plan.
  • Voluntary Action Shetland (VAS) Carer Support Worker – for one to one and group support, information and advice. Call 01595 743923 or visit
  • CAB – for advice on benefits for Carers. Call 01595 696696
  • Enable’s website for writing an emergency plan. -

The leaflets on contain useful information on making an adult carer support plan, considering a short break, emergency planning and hospital discharge

Our short break statement summary and short break statement aim to help carers understand shortbreak services in Shetland