Sports Development can support in the following ways
- Accessing funding opportunities - Shetland Funding Search
- Coach education – generic and sports specific - UK Coaching
- Training opportunities for volunteers – sports specific first aid, child protection, technical official courses, disability inclusion training & more - Training opportunities for volunteers – sports specific first aid, child protection, technical official courses, disability inclusion training & more Children 1st – Safeguarding in Sport
- Club/Association governance
- Support individual athletes to achieve their potential through programmes like the Athlete Travel Award Scheme & Performance Development programme - Athlete Travel Award Scheme
Current recipients of funding through the Shetland Athlete Travel Award Scheme
(left to right) Bobby Laurenson, Shay Regan, Katie Dinwoodie, Finn Regan, Adam Millar, Lauren Sandison, Freya Masson and Tom Nicolson.
Sport is an important part of the cultural identity of Shetland. With outstanding facilities, coaches, volunteers and athletes; Shetland clearly has a proud sporting heritage.
In order to support the development of Sport within Shetland, Sports Development focuses upon both the development of the individual through sport, as well as the development of sport itself. We support the development of clubs, athletes, coaches, and a variety of volunteers from across the community.
Sports Development Pyramid
We work with many organisations in order to provide a cost effective, high quality service that meets the needs of the local sporting community. We also work closely with Sports Governing Bodies to support clubs, associations, athletes, and volunteers.
Our partners include: