Scottish welfare fund

Help and support elsewhere

Depending on your circumstances, there may be other sources of support available to you.

Furniture or household items

You may be able to apply for a budgeting loan from the DWP for furniture or other household items if you are receiving certain benefits.

The Salvation Army may also be able to help source furniture and white goods.

COPE is another resource of low cost furniture and appliances.

Money / debt advice

Shetland Citizens Advice Bureau provides a free, confidential and independent Money Advice service and have outreach dates for rural areas. Contact 01595 694696

Further links to money advice

Heating your home

If you have lived in your home for at least 12 months and meet certain criteria you may be eligible for assistance from the Scottish Government Greener Scotland

Depending on what benefits you receive you may be eligible for Cold Weather Payment , Winter Fuel Payment or Warm Home Discount Scheme

Home improvement

The One Stop Shop provides support and advice for disabled adaptations, repairs and maintenance to private sector homeowners.

Disabled adaptations

Depending on the property you live in, you may receive support through Shetland Islands Council housing repairs if you are an SIC tenant or through the One Stop Shop for private sector homes.

Occupational Therapy can also help with assessment/adaptations and are contactable on 01595 744319

Living expenses

If unsuccessful for a crisis grant you may be eligible for a short term benefit advance or assistance from Social Work if you are vulnerable and meet certain criteria.

The Trussell Trust foodbank can provide you with tinned and dried foods and other toiletries/baby items depending on your need. The foodbank relies on community donation so items will vary. No referral is needed and opening times are listed on their website.

Food for the Way provides fresh and frozen foods donated through local Food Share and Fare Share initiatives. Collections are available Tuesdays 1000 – 1200, Wednesdays 1100 – 1300 and Sundays 1200 – 1400. More information call Peter on 07522 539 696. They also have a lunch service – for times and dates please check their Facebook page or contact the above number.

Help with new baby

Best Start Maternity Grant has replaced the sure start maternity grant and is payable whether this is your first child or not. There are 3 cash payments that can be paid (once per child) at different stages:

  1. Pregnancy and Baby Payment
  2. Early Learning Payment
  3. School Age Payment

Your midwife should also help you apply for a Baby Box.

Funeral expenses

Depending on what benefits you are entitled to, you may be eligible for help through a Funeral Support Payment