For housing repairs contact the housing repair service. You can do this either by telephone 01595 744399 or email email@example.com. Please telephone in the first instance for emergency repairs.
Responsibility for Repairs
The responsibility for repairs to Council houses is shared between the Council and the tenant.
In general, we are responsible for maintaining the fabric and permanent fittings of the building.
You are responsible for internal decoration, furnishings and removable fittings like clothes lines, TV aerials, curtain rails, light bulbs and so on.
The Housing Repairs Team can offer advice and information on any repair queries.
The Right to Repair
If specific repairs are not carried out within the timescales given, you have the right to request that another contractor completes the repair at a cost to the Council. These repairs and further information on how to use the Right to Repair is detailed on the Scottish Government website. If you think you need to ask for the Right to Repair, the local Contractor information is available on the next page.
Timescales for Completing Repairs
Repairs are categorised by us as emergency, urgent, routine or 3 months. You have the right to a repair being done within the timescales set out below.
Out of Hours Emergency Repairs (response within 4 hours)
- Completely blocked flue to open fire, boiler, room heater, solid fuel cooker
- Burst or severely leaking hot or cold water service pipes, tank, cylinder, boiler
- Total loss of electric power or heating
- Broken window (may be recharged to tenant)
- *Broken glass in external doors (may be recharged to tenant)
- Tenant locked out of house (will be recharged to tenant)
- No water throughout house
- ALL OTHER REPAIRS to be attended to during normal working hours
Emergency Repairs (response within 4 hours)
- Repairs to locks on external doors or windows, where house is insecure
- Partially blocked flue to open fire, boiler, room heater, solid fuel cooker
- Leaking water pipes
- Blocked toilet, soil pipe, drain or sink (where not dealt with above)
- Partial loss of electric power (eg all lights, all sockets or bathroom light)
- Total loss of hot water
- All emergency lighting (Sheltered Housing)
- Loss of heating in Living room (other individual rooms Routine Repairs)
- Toilets not flushing - where there is no other toilet in the house
- ALL OTHER REPAIRS to be attended to in a lesser category.
Urgent Repairs (response within 3 working days)
- Dripping waste/water pipe (containable)
- Single light not working - except bathroom light (see Emergency Repairs)
- Loss of heating in more than one room
- Broken (not loose) WC seat
- Walls, roof, doors and windows leaking
- Repairs on safety issues eg loose stairs handrail, loose kitchen wall unit, damaged flooring
- Repair/replace smoke detector
- Broken glass in roomheater
- Urgent safety issues on external works
- Replacement firebars to solid fuel appliances or glass to roomheaters
- ALL OTHER REPAIRS to be attended to at a lesser category
Routine repairs (response within calendar month)
- Clear gutters and downpipes
- Ease internal/external doors
- Repairs to loose door/window handles
- Repairs to kitchen units
- Repairs to gates and fences
- Replacing tap washers
- Refix loose taps
3 month repairs (response within 3 calendar months)
- replace faulty double glazing units