Care homes and supported living

Moving into a care home is a big decision. You may not need to move into a care home as we may be able to support you to carry on living in your own home. For example, we can offer home care or special equipment.  We can also help you move into supported or sheltered housing.

A care home may be the best choice

  • if you can no longer cope in your own home
  • if you need 24 hour care.

You, or someone acting on your behalf, should our Social Work Team to arrange for us to assess your needs.

The Care Homes operated by the Council are:

Edward Thomason & Taing Support Services, Lerwick
Fernlea Care Centre, Whalsay
Isleshavn Care Centre, Mid Yell
Montfield Support Services, Lerwick
Nordalea Care Centre, Unst
North Haven Care Centre, Brae
Overtonlea Care Centre, Levenwick
Wastview Care Centre, Walls

Care Home Inspections

Care Homes are inspected by the Care Inspectorate, and their website explains how they regulate and inspect all care homes (external link).

Sheltered/Supported Living Housing

This is housing that gives you support and security without taking away your independence.The property is usually adapted for people with disabilities.

When you move into the housing, a support worker will assess your need for support.