Marriage Registration and Civil Weddings

Marriage Registration

Marriage notice has to be lodged with the Registrar not less than 28 clear days before the proposed date of marriage, and not more than three months before the date. It is recommended that the forms should be lodged about 10 - 12 weeks before the marriage date. Marriage notice forms are required for both civil and religious marriages.

Marriage notices can be delivered in person or by post. However, both parties may be required to attend the Registrar's office to clear up any queries which may arise.

All marriage notice paperwork must be submitted to the Lerwick Registrar’s Office.

What documents should I take to the Registrar?

If you are not British you may also need to provide:

  • A certificate of no impediment (CONI), a document from your home country stating you are free to marry

If you are travelling from a non EEA Country and are a non EEA national further documentation will need to be completed.

You should contact the UK Border Agency (Tel No. 0300 123 2241), for advice about entry requirements to the UK under immigration rules for marriage.

If any document is written in a language other than English it should be accompanied by an authorised translation.


Documents issued by the registrar

For a religious marriage

  • a marriage schedule. This will only be issued to the bride or groom up to 7 days before the marriage.

For a civil marriage the Registrar is responsible for the schedule.

A Marriage Schedule is the document signed by both parties to the marriage, along with the two witnesses, who must be at least 16 years of age and the celebrant. The signed marriage schedule is a very important document and great care should be taken of it. Following a religious marriage, the marriage schedule should be returned to the Registrar within three days.

A marriage certificate. If requested and paid for, is issued once the marriage schedule is returned and the marriage is registered.