Noise Nuisance

What is noise?

Noise is unwanted sound.

Noise or nuisance problems in the community are usually caused by amplified music, noisy visitors, damage or disturbance within a property, excessive noise at antisocial hours, loud music and noisy parties.  

Noise problems may also include barking dogs or noise from an industrial site.

What can I do about noise?

If you feel unable to resolve the matter yourself you can contact

  • Relationship Shetland whom can help with informal resolutions as well as safe and appropriate communication.
  • Environmental Health. You do not need to be a tenant to report noise problems or antisocial behaviour in your neighbourhood; you can be a resident living in your own property.  People who are council tenants should report problems of antisocial behaviour to their designated Housing Officer. 
  • Your Landlord. This could be Housing Services. Hjaltland Housing Association or any other landlord. If you are struggling with or do not have a landlord you can also contact Environmental Health.
  • Police Scotland. outside officer hours the Police are the only service in Shetland available to respond to noise.

What help can the Council offer?

  • Environmental Health investigates complaints of noise from industrial, commercial and domestic activity.  They can help resolve issues and can take statutory enforcement action if need be. The antisocial behaviour coordinator can also look at any noise involving asb.
  • Housing Services can help liaise between tenants regarding complaints or antisocial behaviour.  They may also refer a complaint on to the Community Mediation Team if they are unable to come to a satisfactory resolution.

If you feel you are unable to resolve any problem with noise that is affecting you in your home and neighbourhood, you can contact us at Environmental Health or the Housing Team.