Shetland Library Young Writer Competition
The Young Writer award is run annually by Shetland Library. There are three categories: age 7 - 9, age 10 - 12 and age 13 - 18. There is an additional prize for the best piece of writing in the Shetland dialect. It is open to all young people in Shetland, and is publicised through schools and the public Library.
Shetland Library invites entries for the Shetland Library Young Writer 2021, for
- An original poem, written either in English or Shetland dialect
- An original short story (maximum 750 words), written either in English or Shetland dialect
The theme this year is "The Lighthouse".
There will be three winning categories, according to your age on 28 May 2021:
- 7 - 9 years
- 10 - 12 years
- 13 - 18 years
An additional prize for the best piece of writing in the Shetland dialect will also be awarded. Prizes will be £50 and a winner's certificate.
The £50 prizes are kindly sponsored by Shetland ForWirds, The New Shetlander and the Educational Institute of Scotland.
Conditions of entry
- You must only submit work not previously published or entered in any other competition.
- Please take a copy before submitting, as entries will not be returned.
- Please make sure your entry is typed or very clearly written.
- Although the theme is "The Lighthouse", it would be to your advantage to select an alternative title for your work.
- Shetland Library reserves the right to use the winning entries, for publication or otherwise, at any time.
- Entrants must be Shetland residents.
Submit your entry to the address below, to arrive no later than Friday 28 May 2021.
Include the following details (on a seperate sheet from your piece of writing):
- Your name and address
- Date of birth / Age on 28.05.21
- Your telephone number
- Your email address
- Your school
- The title of your work