Apply for Housing

Housing Photo

Shetland Islands Council (SIC) and Hjaltland Housing Association (HHA) operate a Common Housing Register (joint application list). This means that by completing one application form you can be considered for housing with both landlords. If you wish, you can opt out of being housed by either landlord.  To increase the chance of being housed, we recommend you choose to be on both Housing Registers.

Anyone aged 16 or over is entitled to apply for housing.

There are 3 methods of applying for housing in Shetland:

  •   By online Housing Application form
  •   By downloading and printing a PDF Application Pack at home for completing and scanning and emailing or posting to the Housing Office
  •   By telephoning and requesting a paper Application pack from the Housing Office for completing and scanning and emailing or posting to the Housing Office

Depending on your circumstances, you may require Additional forms for Medical, Social or Child Contact requirements.  These can be completed online via the following links or for download via the PDF Additional Housing Forms link below.

Online Housing Application form

Online Medical Points Application form

Online Social Needs Points Application form  

Online Child Contact form

PDF Housing Application pack

If your require a Paper Application pack or any additional requirements for the application please contact housing.

PDF Additional Housing forms 

Our full allocation policy as well as other housing policies can be found in our policy section.

If you are disabled, an older adult or a member of the Armed Forces then Housing Options Scotland may be able to assist you.