How will schools know my child's needs before they start school
Moving on to school can be both exciting and challenging - for children and also for their parents. Staff who work with your child in nursery or in other early learning and childcare settings will try to make sure that your child's move to school is a positive experience in many ways - for example by:
- talking about any concerns you may have
- passing on any information you wish the school to know
- giving your child the chance to visit the school and get to know the staff
- encouraging school staff to visit the early learning and childcare setting
- involving specialist staff from other agencies (e.g. speech and language therapist) where appropriate
The school will build on your child's experiences and work to meet their additional support needs. Parents can ask to see the early learning and childcare provider's transition policy as each setting varies.