Applying for a House

Council and Housing Association options

Housing Bird House

Shetland Islands Council and Hjaltland Housing Association provide housing for general need, sheltered housing and temporary accommodation for those who are homeless in Shetland.

One application can be made to either organisation to be placed on both their registers (lists). Council houses are allocated as per our Allocation policy. Take a look at how the Council's housing register works.  For details on Hjaltland Housing Association's Allocation process, please see the HHA Allocation Policy.

You can also apply for a Transfer or a Mutual Exchange.