Listed below are changes to Council Services during the Festive Period from December 2021 to January 2022, including closure dates and any planned changes to Services over Christmas and New Year. If you are uncertain about any changes to a specific service, please contact them directly.
The majority of Council premises, including
- Lerwick Town Hall
- Hayfield House
- 8 North Ness
- Sella Ness
will be closed from 5pm on Friday 24th December 2021 and will reopen again on the morning of Wednesday 5th January 2022.
Specific Council services are listed below.
Holiday arrangements for treatment of Ice and Snow
The treatment of ice and snow is a daytime service only, starting at 6am. No routine treatment is provided in the evenings or overnight.
Roads will be treated throughout the festive as per the normal winter service. There will be no scheduled treatment taking place on Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
A gritter crew in each area will be on standby in the evenings and on Christmas and New Year’s Days to respond to “blue light” emergencies, Police “call-outs” and severe weather conditions.
If you must drive in snowy conditions and require a road condition report please contact:
- Roads - 01595 744866 - office hours, extended during bad snow conditions
- Visit our roads winter treatment pages for more information
Opening hours for the Gremista Waste Management Facility in Lerwick can be found on our Rubbish and Recycling page
Please note that the Gremista site will be CLOSED on
- Saturday 25th, Sunday 26th and Monday 27th December 2021
- and on Saturday 1st, Sunday 2nd and Monday 3rd January 2022
Household collection dates for the Christmas and New Year period can be found on our Rubbish and Recycling page
- Please place your refuse or recycling bins out for collection at 7.30am on the appropriate day.
- Normal household collections will resume from Monday 3rd January 2022
- The Festive Period timetable for the Council's Inter-Island Ferries is available on our Ferries webpage
- Current Ferry Status information is also available online and via the telephone Voicebanks
- The Ulsta Booking Office will be CLOSED on Sat 25th and Sun 26th December 2021, and on Sat 1st and Sun 2nd January 2022.
- On Friday 24th December 2021, the Ulsta Booking Office will close at 1530 hours. All bookings including online bookings for 25th & 26th December (and bookings for Skerries for 27th Dec 2021) must be made before 1530 hours on Fri 24th Dec.
On Friday 31st December 2021, the Ulsta Booking Office will close at 1530 hours. All bookings including online bookings for 1st and 2nd January 2022 (and bookings for Skerries for 3rd Jan 2022 must be made before 1530 hours on Fri 31st Dec.
The booking office will be open as normal from Monday 26th to Thursday 30th December 2021, from 0800hrs -1700hrs; and from Monday 3rd January 2022.
Please phone 01595 745804 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for bookings.
- Northlink Ferries has details of sailings between Aberdeen, Kirkwall and Lerwick over the Festive period on their website.
There will be NO public bus services running in Shetland on Saturday 25th, Sunday 26th and Monday 27th December 2021; and Saturday 1st, Sunday 2nd and Monday 3rd January 2022.
In the event of service disruption, updates can be obtained by calling the Bus Service Voicebank on 01595 745744.
An interactive webpage with full details of bus, flight and ferry timetables on routes throughout Shetland is available at: https://travel.shetland.org/
Tingwall Airport will be CLOSED on:
- Saturday 25th, Sunday 26th, Monday 27th & Tuesday 28th December 2021
- Saturday 1st, Sunday 2nd, Monday 3rd & Tuesday 4th January 2022
Details of inter-island flight timetables can be found on the Airtask website.
Day Services and Lunch Clubs - Individual service users will be informed of the arrangements at their day service or lunch club.
Care @ Home and Outreach Services -
- Individual service users will be informed of any changes to their arrangements.
- Residential services will remain open subject to Scottish Government guidance in relation to COVID-19.
- Supported accommodation services will operate as normal if tenants choose to stay at home. If tenants’ plans change they should contact the person on- call for their service.
Adult Services (LD &ASD) – Supported Living and Outreach
Supported accommodation services will operate as normal (and within COVID-19 Guidance). If tenants’ plans change they should contact their keyworker or care co-ordinator to discuss.
Short Break and Respite Services (Newcraigielea) – Individual families will be informed of the arrangements.
Supported Vocational Activity (EG@Seafield) – Individual service users will be informed of the arrangements.
The Bridges Project is closed from Friday 17th December 2021. Staff will return on Wednesday 5th January, with classes restarting on Monday 10th January 2022.
Emergency repairs to schools, offices and public buildings - including public toilets and burial grounds - should be reported to the Out of Office Hours number - 01595 744150.
All other repairs can be reported by calling Buildings Helpdesk on 01595 744183 when the office re-opens on Wednesday 5th January 2022 or repairs can be reported by e-mail to email@example.com.
Tenants in Council properties with requests for Emergency repairs should look under 'Housing' section
There will be no interment bookings taken for Saturday 25th December 2021 and Saturday 1st January 2022.
For any urgent enquiries please contact Burial Services Knab office by telephone on 01595 744898 or 07796 276404, or by email on firstname.lastname@example.org. Emergency repairs to burial grounds outwith normal working hours should be reported to 01595 744150.
Burial Services Gremista staff return on Wednesday 5th January 2022. Please contact us by telephone on 01595 744853 or by email on email@example.com to arrange an appointment in advance.
- Short Breaks for Children - Families will be informed of individual arrangements over the Festive period.
- Residential childcare services will be open as usual.
- See also Schools below
- The Out of Hours service will be available as normal 01595 695611 when the office is closed. This is the general out of hours service which covers Children and Families, Community Care and Criminal Justice - for emergencies only.
The Council's Finance section at 8 North Ness will be closed from 5pm on Friday 24th December 2021 and will reopen again at 9am on Wednesday 5th January 2022.
Payments for items such as Council tax, invoices, and non-domestic rates can still be paid online during this time. However, an out of hours emergency service for the Scottish Welfare Fund only will be available by telephoning 01595 695611.
The Council's HR Service at 8 North Ness will be closed from 5pm on Friday 24th December 2021 and will reopen again at 9am on Wednesday 5th January 2022.
If you have any queries please contact HumanResources@shetland.gov.uk – e-mails will be responded to when staff return to work in January 2021.
Please note that if you are having difficulties with your recruitment application form or account there is an FAQ page available on the myjobscotland site.
The Council's Housing Service at 8 North Ness will be closed from 5pm on Friday 24th December 2021 and will reopen again at 9am on Wednesday 5th January 2022.
- During this time, any Council tenants needing Emergency repairs to properties should contact the Out of Office Hours number - 01595 693972
- All other repairs can be reported by calling Housing Repairs on 01595 744399 when the office re-opens on Wednesday 5th January 2022 or you can report your repair by e-mail – firstname.lastname@example.org providing all relevant details.
Anyone with nowhere to stay or is at risk of homelessness between these dates and times can call the Duty Housing Officer on 01595 695611 for assistance and advice on homelessness and temporary accommodation.
- All other housing application enquiries can be made when the office re-opens on Wednesday 5th January 2022. Housing information and advice can be found on our Housing Service webpage.
Islesburgh Community Centre
- Closes at 10pm on Wednesday 22nd December 2021
- Re-opens at 9.00am on Wednesday 5th January 2022
Islesburgh House Hostel
- Will be closed from Tuesday 30th November 2021, and will reopen on Monday 17th January 2022.
The last opening day for the Living Well Hub in Brae will be Monday 13th December 2021. The Hub will reopen again in January 2022.
The Community Occupational Therapy service is:
- Closed on Monday 27th and Tuesday 28th December 2021
- Open from 9am - 5pm on Wednesday 29th, Thursday 30th and Friday 31st.December
- Closed on Monday 3rd and Tuesday 4th January 2022
Open as normal from Wednesday 5th January
The Registrar's Office will be closed from 4pm on Friday 24th December 2021, and will reopen again on the morning of Wednesday 5th January 2022.
The Registrar Office will be open for telephone enquiries and appointments ONLY on:
- Wednesday 29th December 2021 from 10am to 2pm
- Thursday 30th December 2021 from 10am to 2pm
- and Friday 31st December 2021 from 10am to 2pm
Normal service will resume on Wednesday 5th January 2022.
Telephone 01595 744562 or email email@example.com.
All schools in Shetland will close for the Christmas holidays from the end of the school day on Tuesday 21st December 2021 and reopen to pupils on the morning of Thursday 6th January 2022. Full details of the school calendar can be found on the Term Dates page
Please contact schools directly with any queries.
The Council managed games halls at Brae, Sandwick and Scalloway School and the Gilbertson Park Hall in Lerwick will be closed for bookings from Fri 24th December 2021 and will reopen on Thursday 6th January 2022.
- Shetland Recreational Trust have details of their Festive Opening Times for pools and leisure centres on their website - hwww.srt.org.uk/news/srt-festive-opening-times
Opening Hours for can be found on our Shetland Library webpages
Normal opening hours will apply from Wednesday 5th January 2022.
Books can be returned anytime at the 24-hour returns point outside the Library door.
Library Van Information
There's also schedules for the Mobile Library Van
Social Work will be closed on Mon 27th & Tues 28th December, and Mon 3rd & Tues 4th January 2022. The Duty Social Worker can be contacted out of hours on 01595 695611. This out of hours service covers Social Work, Adult and Child Protection, Children and Families, Community Care and Criminal Justice.