What can I borrow?
Your library membership allows you to borrow:
- 20 items, of which 8 can be music CDs, 4 can be film DVDs and 2 can be Open Learning packs.
- a combined total of 10 eBooks and eAudiobooks on both OverDrive and BorrowBox
- Unlimited eMagazines and eComics on OverDrive
- A tablet or a laptop (additional conditions apply)
It is completely free to borrow.
How long can I borrow things for?
- Books, DVDs and CDs are loaned for 4 weeks.
- Open learning packs are loaned for 12 weeks
- eMagazines and eComics are loaned for up to 21 days.
- eBooks and eAudiobooks are loaned for up to 21 days.
- Tablets and laptops are loaned for 4 weeks.
NOTE: An acceptable Use Policy applies to all loans of electronic equipment from the Shetland Library. You can read the policy here: Computer and Mobile Device Agreement 2021.
By borrowing the device from the library you are agreeing to the conditions listed in the policy.
I'm just visiting - can I join?
Visitors are also very welcome to join the library.
Just fill in a membership form, show some ID and give us your Shetland and home address.
You may borrow up to 5 items plus eBooks.
If the item you want is on loan or at another branch, you can reserve it, and we'll keep it for you when it's available. You can place a reservation by asking staff or by reserving online.
Requests and suggestions
If you want an item that isn't in stock, just ask staff and we will see if we can get it for you. This depends on whether the item is suitable for our stock and of interest to other customers. We very much appreciate suggestions from customers, as it helps us spot good books.
We can borrow items from other libraries and often this is how we get specialist or research material for our customers. Just ask staff and we will look into the best way to get you what you want.
All the above services are free, though we reserve the right to charge for inter-library loans if customers require a large number.